that I'm doing this:
Festival of the Nativity
Any suggestions for what I should play? I'm pretty sure they want mostly Christmas music.
(and P.S. what were they thinking when they invited me to do this? what was I thinking when I agreed? Christmas music... on the BASSOON??? who ever heard of such a thing!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Wow!! I wish I could be there to hear the concert. I've seen and heard Jenny O Baker at BYU Ed Week. She's very good, too. I'm sure you'll be wonderful. Let us know what you decide to play. Tell Tyler and Rachael. Maybe they'll be able to come.
if you commission it i'll write out the four variations on rudolph the red-nosed reindeer that have been haunting me, just for you, michele.
Better play "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." That just says bassoon all over
I was thinking of a variation on We Three Kings:
"We three kings from Looney Tunes,
Tried to play a rubber bassoon.
Instead it sounded like a kazoo..."
You get the picture...jk. Did those things I sent you help at all?
sweet!
That's awesome.
You could adapt a vocal solo from some Christmas song (I'm thinking Messiah - I know it's not Christmas, but it talks of His birth)?
Good luck with that. Playing for church stuff still is awkward for me repertoire wise.
That's so cool! I wish I could come and hear you!
Are you supposed to do hymns or what? I like "O Come O Come Emmanuel..." and I think it would sound pretty on the bassoon.
I think that O Come, O Come Emmanuel would sound awesome on the bassoon! You could add tongue slaps, key clicks, and multiphonics. Heck, and while we are at it, this purported arrangement could have some electronics, like a ring modulator!
I think it will be beautiful, whatever you decide to play. :)
How did it go? How did it go? (You looked beautiful in your profile picture.)
so, how was it?
The Nativity Festival turned out great. I had a great friend of mine play the piano with me, and we just played through several arrangements of Christmas hymns.
The best part about it was that a bunch of people from my ward came! I was not expecting that, especially because I didn't really tell anyone that I was doing it. So yeah, it was great.
I would like to add that about 10 days before this event I got a gig offer to play at another church (with a $270 honorarium). I turned it down play for free. I hope I get a blessing for that.
Wow. I"m so amazed that I am RELATED to a professional musician. Who gets honorariums. You are so awesome, michele, living the dream!
The next time you're out here playing something (if that ever happens again)I want to come. I'm so sad I had to miss last time.
Sometimes I struggle with my calling as music chair (which I think I am going to be released from soon since I am now an Elder's Quorum instructor). Sometimes the Church needs our talents for a particular reason. At the same time, are we not entitled to the Sabbath also? Anyways, good job with your gig.
Post a Comment