15 June 2010

When I made that last post I thought that I was going to publish more frequent updates about the status of my dissertation!  But it just got too busy and stressful and once it was finally all over, I really wanted to take a break from the computer.  Plus I got a Netflix subscription as a graduation present and I've been catching up on all the episodes of Scrubs that I missed.

Anyway, I did get my dissertation turned in, and I went up to Iowa for my defense in April.  Thankfully I passed, but my committee requested that a lot of additions to be made before turning in the final draft.  I almost drove myself (and John) insane for two weeks trying to change and add everything I needed to, and barely turned it in by the deadline!  What a relief.  I hope I NEVER have to do that again!

This was everyone who came to my defense including my committee members, Himie Voxman himself, and two of his close friends.  Himie is the one in the very center.  He was so nice to come to my defense, even though he wasn't allowed to participate.  (I wish he could have--he always has something funny to say and we could have used some laughs in there that day!)

And here he is, reading my manuscript.  I hope he has enjoyed reading about his life.  I know for  sure there are a lot of things in there that he has forgotten about.

I was so surprised when my parents AND John's parents wanted to come to my graduation!  I hadn't planned on it, but since they wanted to go we did.  My parents drove out (and even brought Uncle Nolan with them) and John's parents and younger sister flew to Kansas City, borrowed John's aunt's van, and drove up.  I'm still amazed that they were all willing to make such a big sacrifice to be there!  We actually only spent a few hours in Iowa City on the day of my graduation and spent the rest of the weekend in Nauvoo, IL.  Some friends from Iowa City let us stay in a house that they own there.  

John and Anna on the carriage ride in Nauvoo

All of us at the temple

Sunset on the Mississippi

Before the graduation ceremony

The hooding ceremony

This is Dr. Huckleberry--he hooded me.  He is one of my favorite professors.  I'm so glad he was there, because my own advisor couldn't make it and I was worried that I wouldn't have anyone to hood me! 

My robe. 

A lot of people have told me how impressing it is that I earned a doctorate degree, but I really need to give the credit to John.  John was the only one who was able to get me to sit down and just write it.  He was really supportive and helpful throughout all of it, even on the days when I was too busy writing that I didn't cook any food, clean the dishes, or even get dressed.  He solved all of my formatting problems and even at the very end, when the thesis office sent back my final draft because of a formatting problem, he just fixed the whole thing for me (probably because he knew that I would have a major nervous breakdown if I had to look at my dissertation one more time!).

Thanks John, I'm so lucky to have you!
Mr. and Dr. Hustedt  :)






8 comments:

Sara said...

Congratulations, Michele! Way to go -- really! You look great in your robes! :)

Also, Himie Voxman is just about the cutest person ever. :)

alliehoopes said...

Dr. Michele with one L, you are fabulous. I can't imagine how much goes into that. Are you showing up to any of the reunion happenings?

merrilykaroly said...

I'm sure John was amazingly helpful, but you can't give him ALL the credit-- you deserve some credit too for all of the years, hours, and meticulous minutes you put into your education. You are amazing and an inspiration. Congratulations, Bow.

michele said...

Thanks you guys!

Allie, I don't think I'll make it to the reunion, I'm already flying out there at the end of July for the music camp in Evanston, and then to London in August. I can't spend any more money on plane tickets! But I do wish I could be there for all the fun, weird, and awkward stuff. Oh well. What about you, are you going?

Barry said...

We had such a great time being at your graduation, you looked wonderful. We can't believe you are the first Hustedt Doctor and we are so proud of you. We are so glad you guys have each other.

George Marie said...

Michele~

I love the picture of your committee with Larry in it. I remember when he was unable to teach and wanted to so badly, and now participating in dissertation defenses!.

Congratulations!


George

Josh said...

Congrats Michele, you're fantastic. We're so glad to have you in the family.

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.