21 September 2007

A Day in the Life of Michele: Part I

The story goes like this: about 20 min. before I was ready to go to school today, I was rummaging around in my backpack and in a distracting moment decided to step outside to check the weather. After confirming that it was indeed a nice day out, I turned to open the door and it was locked! After a few seconds of panicking, I looked down and realized that I just happened to have a purse on my shoulder, which contained the following things: two pens, 7 old receipts, a demo cd, some loose change, and my camera.
So, the only thing for me to do was to walk to school. I live about four miles away. Thankfully I had my shoes on! It was about one hour before my oboe lesson. As I was walking up Melrose Ave, I happened to come to a bus stop. There was a woman waiting there, so I decided to wait with her and see what happened. So, for the first time in the 3 years of living in Iowa City (I'm ashamed to admit this) I stepped foot on a bus.
It was fun! I think I'll do it again. The bus took a very round-about way to get to campus (as most busses do) and finally it dropped me of by the Main Library.
The people behind me were less happy about riding the bus than I was. They should try locking themselves out of their houses.
The library is still a long walk from the music building, so I took some other fun pictures along the way.

This swan was very beautiful, and seemed to feel threatened that I was taking its picture. I got as many shots as I could before I got scarred that he was going to come after me. This is the most inetersting one.


That's the beautiful Iowa River behind me. It's not so beautiful when you get close up, but from the bridge it is tolerable.


This tree was infront of the Museum of Art. Its leaves were entirely green except for this one patch of bright red.


This is delightful use of a little hole in a sidewalk.


This is my locker in one of the hallways of the music building. I would post more pictures of the building, but they all pretty much look like this. Add to this picture the heavy scent of coffee and perhaps you can imagine the place where I spend most of my waking hours.


Luckily, I made it to school with about 10 minutes to warm up for my lesson. This is what the practice rooms look like. Picture me playing the bassoon or oboe in a room similar to this three hours every day. Depressing, isn't it?


I showed up to my lesson a few minutes late, only to find Dr. Huckleberry and Mark goofing of, as usual.

Halfway into my lesson, this happened:

Mark spent about 10 minutes talking to some guy who was more important than me (but I didn't mind, because I didn't feel like playing the oboe today anyway).


Mark has a huge collection of postcards. There is a whole other wall not in this pic. He even has one of the Salt Lake temple.

Right after my lesson is reed making class. Hello, oboists:
The reed room is another place where I spend many hours widdling away, trying to make the perfect reed (I still haven't made it yet).

Hello, bassoonists! (Professor Coelho likes having his picture taken--can you tell?)

2 comments:

merrilykaroly said...

Bow, this is so interesting! You turned a tragic situation into an artistic view of a day in your life. I'm glad you had your camera.

michele said...

I'm just glad that I wasn't in my underwear when I locked myself out of the house...