08 September 2008

hold your breath

I wrote this back in July, but for some reason I didn't post it. Maybe I was embarrassed. Hmm... well, here ya go.

Today I made my first cd purchase in over two years. I hate buying cd's... I usually acquire my music electronically. I only buy the cd's of the artists I truly honestly love, who have left a deep impression on me in some way. This one was "For Emma, Forever Ago" by the band Bon Iver.

I have been listening to Bon Iver since the beginning of April, right before I took my comprehensive exams. It was one of the most stressful times of my life... I am still recovering. The band did a show in Iowa City the first weekend in April and even though I couldn't afford the time off from studying I went. It was amazing. There's something about this music that brings my innermost feelings and memories and convictions to the surface. It's like some sort of strange drug, I can't get enough of it. So far I have listened to it four complete times in a row without stopping. I would listen to it more but it is 2:25 in the morning and I have a lunch date at 11:30 with Himie Voxman.

But seriously, I can't stop listening to this. It's better than food, better than sleep, better than nice old people.

Here is a video of "Skinny Love" ... in case you wanted to listen a bit.

6 comments:

George Marie said...

"Flume" frequently appears on my play list. This is such a beautiful piece. It's so simple, yet so hauntingly beautiful at the same time. How can this be? It's not something as densely structured or left to probability as the things I write. I think feelings such as these are questions that remain best unanswered. Do you remember when we were going to rehearse in your parents basement when we listened to this? To me, that was a perfect moment in time. I remember sitting alone in the studio one night with the mood lighting down. I just closed my eyes and I was awashed in sound. It was almost as if the song were being performed for me...and I was just alone in the room, with the music and the peace that it gave me. For if you hold your breath, time can stop and that perfect moment in time can last forever. Now I know what the unintended moment is....

Anonymous said...

Except that his guitar is out of tune. Sorry, I can't listen to it all the way through.

michele said...

I think the out of tune guitar makes is sound more raw and organic.

Daniel said...

I have nothing deep to add, but wanted to let you know that I enjoy the insights of your blog and the music found therein.

alliehoopes said...

This was going to be an email in response to a lovely comment from you but then I realized I didn't have your email so there's that.

Well you are the rockingest bassoonist I ever did hear. Enjoying your solo right now. And can I say HOORAY for a blog that's not all mommykid. I know that's what my own is but all the same gets monotonous. I think I'm going to copy you on the aware goes to list. What a cute way to put it. And also look into your music list since I have a few in common. And also the youtube link you put. Here I go.

michele said...

awe, thanks Allie. Its not as cool as yours for sure...

some of my bassoon stuff is a little out there these days, but glad you like it.