11 December 2009

Untitled

I have been procrastinating this blog for a while because I wanted to write about the rest of our Vietnam trip.  I think it may have to wait a little while because it involves pictures and the names of places I don’t remember, so I’ll skip it for now and write a little update for December 2009!

John and I came back from Vietnam on October first and my tan has already gone away, boo hoo!

We moved into a nice little one bedroom apartment in Atlanta, close to John’s work.  This place is a total dream: our apartment community has a fitness center, a business center (with computers, fax/copy machine, and wifi) and a non-chlorinated salt water swimming pool.  The carpet, walls, doors, and cabinets are made of recycled materials.  And we have a valet trash service.  We have a nice view of the trees from the balcony and it’s quiet.  Oh—and we got about $300/month off the normal price because we came in the off season!  We also bought a car.  It is the first car that either of us has owned.  It is a ’99 Camry and we had all of the money saved up for it!

I decided back in October to finish and send in a rough draft of my dissertation to my advisor by the end of December.  I have been working on in every day like it’s my full time job.  Spending every day like this totally bums me out, but I have dedicated myself to one last stretch of hard work and before we fly home for Christmas, whatever I have on my computer I’m turning in no matter how bad it is.  I’ve been working on this thing for so many years and months that if I don’t finish it soon, I might give up! 

John is enjoying his job at the CDC and we are both enjoying having an income (although it doesn’t seem like much compared to our mountain of student loan debt—but thankfully John doesn’t have to begin repaying his for three years because of this job) and our Federal Employee Health Benefits.  He has also been playing tennis as much as possible and watching the TV show Better Off Ted with me. 

I have three piano students and one flute student!  This is quite astonishing to me.  John’s supervisor at work asked if I would teach her two daughters piano and flute, and our Vietnamese friends asked me to teach their little girl.  So we’ll see how this works out, especially since I’m not experienced on either of those instruments.  Someone did ask me for violin lessons and I had to draw the line there.  No bassoon students yet, ironically.   I have been getting lots of gigs lately however, including most recently the Atlanta Pops Orchestra. 

I am also excited about the recent release of a CD that I recorded with the Atlanta Chamber Winds last August.  The CD is titled Music from Paris, published by Albany records.  It features works by lesser-known French composers, and I only play on three of the six pieces.  This isn’t the first professional recording that I have contributed to, and I wasn’t initially very excited about it.  But I listened to it a few weeks ago and it’s actually really good! 

John and I are going home to Utah and Wyoming for our first Christmas as a married couple.  We are excited to see our families and the mountains again.  I hope we will be able to see everyone, but we will only be there for a few days so we’ll do our best!

Ok, that's all for now!

10 comments:

Josh said...

Michele! Thanks for the udate, that was fun. Is there an internet site to your apartments? It sounds cool, what does recycled material for cupboards etc. look like? We're excited to see you two soon!

michele said...

Here is a link to some photos. The cupboards and the carpet look normal to me! I really don't know how or what they used to make them. It is Earthcraft and Energy Star certified, that's all I know!
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/photogallery.aspx?Region=1&CommunityId=136

Sara said...

Yay! You're back!

merrilykaroly said...

That's funny, I was just going to email you and see how you have been lately! Thanks for the update!!

That's fun that you have piano and flute students! I now have 13 piano students and zero oboe students (although I was offered one oboe student, but I just didn't think it would be worth such a low pay. I know, that sounds terrible.)

I hope you have time to come visit us at Christmas, but if you don't I guess we will understand :)

Good luck on your dissertation! You're almost there!

George Marie said...

Are you guys going to be coming through Salt Lake City by chance?

Josh said...

WOW! Your apartment building looks really nice!! When can we come and stay? :) We're jealous, we are paying double your rent for a 100+ year old building!

Unknown said...

Awww... we'll be leaving for California, so we'll miss you!!! Jaws will be heartbroken ;)

Sounds like you guys are doing great. It's so nice to get an update... good for you, finishing your dissertation.

Rose said...

I love your blog, I am jealous of yours and John's adventures and your musical talent! YAY!

Laura Foster said...

I loved reading your update!

Teresa Strum said...

Wow! Congratulations on your marriage! (This is your old BYU roommate Teresa Gomm- Strum.) I liked seeing all the wedding pics and to hear about your life these days! Take care.