22 March 2010

Today is the day.

Today is the day that I am sending in my dissertation!  

Actually, I should say that today is the day that I'm going to finish sending in my dissertation.  It's a long and complicated process.  

It started Friday when, after looking over it 20 more times to make sure it looked alright, I frantically PDFed it and burned it onto a DVD.  Then John and I drove as fast as possible to get to FedEx before it closed, and sent it off to the University of Iowa Thesis Office.  I hope they will be able to open my PDF, because I forgot to embed the fonts.  (Actually, I didn't even know what "embed the fonts" was or that I needed to do it until the next day, oh well.) 

Today I have to send it to all five of the professors on my committee (they're the people who will be at my defense on April 21 and must give their approval of the final document).  Unfortunately, three of them want printed copies.  I was really hoping that they all would prefer to save some trees and save me the cost to print and send them!  Oh well.  

And then all I have to do is to pass my defense on April 21, make any changes that the thesis office and/or my committee requests, send in the final copy by May 5, and I'm done!

Here's a little sample of what my brain has been glued to for the past (who know how many) months:

6 comments:

sallysue said...

Congrats!
And thanks for using the term 'pop' instead of soda. That makes me happy.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, congrats! That's a big check off the to do list!

Sara said...

Yay! Congratulations on finishing and submitting that! You're almost done!

Unknown said...

I have to say I'm completely impressed that you finished. I know so many who haven't... or if they have, they took several years doing it. Good for you!!! And I'm so jealous that you have a graduate degree now. Which is silly and elitist of me... why should it matter? But it does because it's a lot of work and it means you know something and can be a professor and stuff. Congrats!!

michele said...

Well, I was highly motivated to finish, because I had to pay $1,000 every semester in tuition. If I pass my defense I won't have to pay that ever again!

And there have been many, many times when I have wondered if it was worth it to go for this degree. I still don't know if it's worth it--it's been a lot of work and I owe a lot of money for it. We'll see!

Putz said...

I FEEL PRIVELDGED TO KNOW SOME SMART GIRLS, YOU AND NO SURF SARHA, JUST TOO NAME TWO